Friday, January 30, 2015

Chapter 16. Training

The next morning, training began.  While most of the recruits spent the day on conditioning, Alfredo surmised that neither Pongo nor I needed to waste time with such things and encouraged us to finish our run quickly, to start learning to use Alcatian weapons and most importantly, to fight intelligently and efficiency.

  Our size and appearance meant we'd stand out on the battlefield, so he focused on movement and awareness as well.  Even then, we were not training to be foot soldiers as such, who learned to fight in formations with our comrades in close quarters. 

In a major battle, we were to be the show pieces, deadly killing machines that inspired fear and awe which was at least as important as how many kills we racked up.  Of course, the kills were important.  In my case, for example, Alfredo pointed out that it was all but impossible for most men to defend themselves with a sword or shield, so I should learn to make every move fatal and swift.

There was classroom instruction as well, and of course, we were not totally excused from a lot of activities.  Our drill sergeant was a crusty old bastard who rode Pongo and I even harder than most of the other recruits.  I thought Pongo might kill him often, and I'll tell you I had that thought more than once myself.  But he was good at what he did, and our skins grew thicker, which was a very good thing for a woman surrounded by men.

While most of boys were issued standard issue short swords for their training, Alfredo tested Pongo and I with a number of different weapons.  Pongo favored an axe, but made do with one of the three foot longswords on hand.  I had almost no preference at first, but eventually Alfredo pulled a five foot two handed sword out of the armory and I found I liked the extra length a lot, although I used the thing almost entirely with one hand.  Later I learned to appreciate even longer blades, of course.

We worked hard during the day, and while I was in better shape come nightfall than most, I didn't much mind going to bed early after dinner most nights.  The bed was dreadful, of course, hard and ridiculously short, but at least it fit in the oversized closet where I slept.

We had free time only one day a week, and while Pongo and I did accompany some of the lads on short trips into the City and the like, Jona seized on these days to show me the sights and expose me to some of Alcatian culture and cuisine. I didn't much care for the theater, but I've never been a picky eater and liked most of the restaurants he took me to.

The idea of running away together didn't come up again, though, and I think, the actual experience of going to public places together with me played as much a role in that as did our mutual employments.  A seven foot red headed girl can't pass unobtrusively on the streets of Alcatia and while he tried to be a good sport about it, I was sure it bothered him. 

I think he was also still struggling with my size and strength himself.  After he turned down my offer before I didn't repeat it, and, at Jona seemed content with that, which at the time bothered me some but was also a relief.  I'd heard often enough that I was too much for a man to handle in bed, and really was worried that it might be true.  I certainly didn't want to risk Jona's health or friendship.

Looking back on it, the time I was in training was a very happy time for me.  Jona wasn't scratching all of my itches, but I loved being with him anyway, and I was starting to really enjoy the training.  For the first time in my life, my freakish size and strength was a good thing, and I soaked up sword play like a very eager sponge.  After a month, Alfredo even stopped sparring with me on a regular basis, leaving me to abuse other recruits and spar with Pongo, who was becoming a star pupil in his own right.

After six weeks, Alfredo pronounced Pongo and I both beyond the need for basic combat training, and the very next day, my happy school days ended.

No comments: