Sunday, January 25, 2015

Chapter 10. Guess who's coming to dinner?

The fortress at Point Calas was imposing and overlooked a small town and port, which was where Jona took me first.  He hurried me through the streets until we found a tailor's shop and opened up his purse, telling the little mustached man behind the counter that he needed a dress suitable for the  Castle by evening and that money was no object.  
While that somehow still allowed for bargaining to be had, I was still impressed and stayed that way while the little man pulled out a long strip of leather with marks on it and tried to take my measurements.  It took actually took two strips tied together for the bust and hips, and a fair amount of time for the tailor to first take them, and then send for his wife to retake them with my dress off, but he promised that he'd have something at least not offensive to wear up to the castle in a few hours, and Jona grabbed me by the hand and took me off to find some shoes.
Again, it took awhile, I actually left the second store with a pair of sandals, after which Jona took me up to a little stand on a ledge about a third of the way up the cliff, where he bought us both some sort of breadroll with meat inside and we had a picnic lunch on a stone table overlooking the town.  
After strolling through the town, we went back to have the dress fitted, which seemed odd, but was necessary, and to have the tailor's wife do something with my hair.  That was a story into itself, despite the fact that I knew how to do much more indicate braiding myself.  Doing my hair included a bath in the public women's bath. 
I'd never dreamed such things existed, and while I'd later see much fancier establishments, I really did think I was in heaven, combing and scraping off layers of dirt in a heated pool inside a building.
I felt like a princess with my hair up in that beige sleeveless dress with a plunging neckline and a slit down one leg to accommodate my oversized thighs.  Jona loved it, and it wasnt until I tried walking in it that I started to feel ridiculous.
I'd worn northern peasant style dresses my whole life, but this one left my muscular arms bare and pushed my bosoms up and out, which didn't seem at all natural.  Worse yet, while the dress was relatively flimsily constructed, it was tight in places and I had the distinct feeling that if I moved wrong it would tear. 
Jona smiled the moment he saw me, and kept smiling as he led me up the path to the castle where a small crowd of young men and women was waiting.   As we took our place in line, Jona in a clean blue uniform tunic and me in my new dress, he stepped close to me and spoke softly.
"The Duchess of Calas is a little eccentric but well liked hereabouts.  One Sunday evening each month, she invites townspeople to dine at the castle and see how the upper class dines.  I thought you might like to ease your introduction to Alcatian manners a bit, instead of being thrust whole heartedly into the whole mess at court.  The food is plain here, and you won't be the only girl whose never eaten with proper utensils. It took a bit of work to wrangle us an invitation, but I do have a connection."
I adjusted my dress, which made Jona's eyes widen a bit since my breasts were more or less in his face, and then smiled at him.
"Its very nice, but I still feel out of place."
He smiled and nodded.
"You are, Fiona, but so is every other guest, which is why I thought it might be nice.  Plus, I have a little surprise.  I'd thought to wait until we got inside, but the Duchess is actually a cousin of mine on my mother's side.  Its a distant relationship, but Aunt Clara is a friendly sort, and just showing my face will make my mother happy.  She's convinced I never get a decent meal, and spend my time only with the wrong sorts.  Clara will no doubt have something interesting to tell her about you I've no doubt."
I didn't know what to say to that.  It made me even more nervous knowing that Jona's Aunt,  a Duchess, would be inspecting me, and as a result, I clammed up, taking my seat and trying very hard to look sophisticated, like all the other young women dressed up and putting on airs.  Jona smiled through dinner as the conversation around us wandered from the food, which seemed fancy and exotic to all of us, to the eating utensils, separate styles of forks for different dishes, and finally to the Duke and Duchess, who'd yet to make an appearance.  When the dessert was just about finished and the servers suddenly started getting obsessive over clearing the tables, a woman next to me said something about an announcement coming soon, but instead of a herald calling out anything, there was a loud shriek.
Out of nowhere came a short stout little woman in a green laced dress and she attacked Jona from behind, ruffling his hair.
"Good gods, Jona" she said as he stood and hugged her, "you're a man, and a right fine looking one at that.  I'm so glad you came."
The entire room stood as well, so I did the same, which meant that when Clara finally got done pinching Jonas cheeks,  I was standing when she looked me over, her smile vanishing for a moment as she studied me.
I actually tried to do like a half curtsey, which nearly did my dress in, and brought a smile to Aunt Clara's face as she looked back at Jona.
"Archie's going to regret missing her" she said, winking at Jona and then taking my hand and tugging as she led Jona and I into a smaller chamber with a table and a few couches.
"Well, Missy," she said, "do you speak?  I'm Clara. Duchess of Calas, but Aunt Clara to my nephew, and his... friends.  Do tell me your name and don't be shy."
"Fiona, ma'am" I said softly, smiling because I didn't know what else to do.
"Fiona is a friend, Clara" Jona said, "and she's's a bit overwhelmed to be summoned to Court."
Jona proceeded to tell Clara my story and Clara nodded, asking a few questions which led me to think she was no stranger to world affairs, before finally turning back to me.
"Young lady" she said, "I expected when I met you, Jona had found some Northern harlot to torture his mother, but it seems hes found something even more bizarre.  Are you sure you've not addled his wits with some barbarian spell?"
I shook my head.
"No, ma'am.  Im no witch.  Jona spoke the truth, although I think he exaggerated a few things here and there."
Clara nodded, waived her hand, and as a girl came out to pour tea, she turned to Jona.
"Jona" she said, "Duke Archibald is in his study and I should think he'd like to hear the tale you just told, including the fact that Lord Kriven was dispatched.  Go see him, and leave your friend with me. We ladies have some important things to discuss.  Tell Archie we'll join you for drinks in an hour or so, and be sure to tell him how she fills out that dress."
Jona left, smiling at me encouragingly, but I think I saw a hint of embarrassment on his face, which was sort of a relief to me before facing Clara alone.
Men and monsters didn't much scare me, even then.  But middle aged aunts were another story entirely.

No comments: